Complete the following learning activities for Assignment 1. Use the script command to save
the terminal session wherever necessary. Saving the terminal starts with the script filename
command and ends with exit.
Combine your answers into one file and name it COMP325_1_YYMM (replacing YYMM with the
current year and month; e.g., 2203). Submit your assignment to your Academic Expert for
marking and feedback using this Assignment Drop Box.
Be sure to complete the final step—click the Submit assignment button—to notify your
1. (4 marks) Why is it not advisable to use root as the default login?
2. (5 marks) What three sections are relevant to a file’s access permissions and how are
they related to the three permission types. Explain how the access permissions and
permission types are changed using the chmod command.
3. (5 marks) Which command can you run on your machine to determine whether the
system is a 32-bit or 64-bit machine? Provide a screenshot of the command and the
4. (5 marks) Assume you would like to run a program that will not terminate even if you
log off from your account. What UNIX command would you use to enable you to do
this? Explain your choice and provide one example.
5. (5 marks) List the shells that can be worked with in the UNIX operating system. Outline
the characteristics of two shells and identify two main differences.
6. (5 marks) To delete the files in a directory, what minimal permissions do you need to
have on the folder? Provide a screenshot showing that you have been able to delete
files within a folder with the suggested minimal permissions.
7. (5 marks) What will happen if the last field of the line in the /etc/passwd file is replaced
with ls *.jpg? Why?
8. (5 marks) What combination of keys will terminate a shell process and why?
9. (5 marks) Write a command line to display the types of all the files in the personal
directory in your home directory that start with the letters b, c, A, or T and the fourth
letter in the name is not a digit and not a letter (uppercase nor lowercase).
10. (5 marks) What is the maximum size (in bytes/characters) of a file name in your UNIX
system? What command did you use to obtain your answer?
11. (5 marks) What is the umask command used for and where is the umask command
normally placed in BSD UNIX systems? Explain why it is placed in this location.
12. (16 marks) What is the effect of each command? Explain your answers.
a. chmod 676 ~/assignment1
b. chmod 551 ~/ assignment1?
c. chmod 611 *.java
d. chmod 716 ~/*
e. ls –l
f. ls –ld
g. ls –la ~/assignment1
h. ls –R
13. (10 marks)
a. Explain the effect of the following umask conditions:
iii. umask 022
iv. umask u=rw,go=
v. umask 000
b. Discuss why umask 000 is a bad idea.
14. (10 marks) Write a command that will identify your username and then send it to a
printer so it prints your username and today’s date. (Example: If your username is
Babiuk, the command will print Babiuk March 20, 2022.)
15. (10 marks) Suppose your login shell is a C shell. You receive a shell script that runs with
the Bourne shell. How would you execute it? Clearly write out all the steps you would
Purchase answer to see full